Are Mums Poisonous To Cats
Having pets like dogs and cats is fun. They can be friends and also have a fairly loyal nature. Its existence at home is certainly interrelated with everything including plants. Do you know what types of houseplants are harmful and toxic to cats? Find out more on Are Mums Poisonous To Cats: Benefits and Side Effects (Cat Lover).
What are Mums?
Mums is another name for chrysanthemums. It has a bright characteristic and blooms in late summer. Chrysanthemums generally grow somewhere between 4 to 36 inches wide by 12 to 36 inches wide. It is a popular flower for many gardeners because of its diverse color.
Although they are beautiful flowers, it remains important to know the dangers that can be inflicted on your pet.
Are Mums Poisonous To Cats?
The parent plant, short for chrysanthemum, is a garden plant that is highly toxic to cats. There are several species of chrysanthemums and all of them are toxic to cats. The parent plant with a bush-like appearance has hundreds of purple or yellow flowers. The parent plant contains several substances that are toxic to cats.
Why Mums Poisonous?
Mums contain several toxins, including pyrethrin, lactone sesquiterpene, and other substances that may irritate. This toxin will cause symptoms such as skin irritation to hyper-salvation. The poison contained in mums has a role as pest control. Therefore, mums rarely have pest problems.
What are the signs and symptoms if a cat is poisoned by Mums?
This condition depends on how your cat interacts with mums. This will determine what kind of poison the cat receives. If your cat touches mums with open skin, then it can most likely cause mild irritation as well as rashes.
More danger, if mums are eaten until swallowed by cats. If ingested, pyrethrin that affects the sodium ducts in a cat’s body can cause tremors, respiratory failure, even death.
Common symptoms that can be found in cats
If your cat has eaten mums, here are the most common symptoms:
- Skin infections
- Excessive scratching
- A lot of drooling
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of coordination
- Eyes widen
- High body temperature
- Difficulty breathing
- Respiratory failure
- Death (extreme cases)
All these symptoms vary depending on the number of mums swallowed by the cat, and how quickly they are treated.
What to do if cats swallow Mums?
If you find a cat has swallowed mums, the best thing to do is contact the veterinary clinic for further treatment.