Causes of Dry Mouth In Women
Xerostomia is a dry mouth condition due to a lack of saliva production. This is caused by drug side effects, autoimmune disorders, such as Sjogren’s syndrome, or the aging process. Understand more Causes of Dry Mouth In Women: Natural Way To Treat It.
What causes dry mouth in the morning and at night? Most people while sleeping don’t breathe through their noses, so saliva production is reduced. But don’t worry if this problem occurs, because it can be overcome with other treatment such as dripping the liquid on cotton and rubbing it into the mouth.
What is the role of saliva in the mouth?
Saliva is a fluid that plays an important role in supporting oral health and the food digestion process. If the amount is too small or excessive, this can be a sign of interference.
What will happen when saliva deficiency?
Lack of saliva can cause problems, such as dry mouth, increased risk of gingivitis, and cavities.
Here are the benefits of saliva:
- Prevent bad breath
- Protects the tooth enamel layer
- Maintain oral cavity hygiene
- Prevent infections of the gums, teeth, and mouth
- Keeping your mouth moist and healthy
- Keeping dentures in place
- Prevent gum disease and tooth decay
- Helps the process of tasting, chewing, and swallowing food
How much saliva is produced each day?
Saliva is produced by salivary glands approximately 1-2 liters daily. It also contains proteins, minerals, as well as amylase enzymes that serve to digest carbohydrates.
When can you experience dry mouth?
It can not be determined, because dry mouth is usually experienced in times of stress or anxiety. However, if it occurs continuously, this condition can be a sign that it should be treated further.
How common is this condition?
Xerostomia can be gotten by anyone irrespective of age and sex. Children, teenagers, adults, and the elderly can experience it.
Why is my mouth so dry when I sleep?
Many people experience dry mouth at night. One of the causes is breathing not through the nose due to obstruction. This can lead to colds, allergies, and structural problems such as an enlarged nasal septum.
How to get rid of dry mouth overnight?
Try chewing gum without sugar, drink as much water as possible and minimize the consumption of salty foods. This can reduce dry mouth overnight.
Causes of Dry Mouth In Women
Dry mouth occurs when the salivary glands are not able to produce sufficient amounts. This condition can be caused by:
- Stress and anxiety
- The habit of breathing through the mouth, for example, due to nasal congestion
- Part of the aging process that further affects the body’s ability to absorb drugs, lack of nutrient intake, or chronic diseases
- Side effects of taking medications, such as diuretics, antidepressants, antihistamines, and muscle relaxants
- Smoking, chewing tobacco, or consuming alcoholic beverages
- Diseases such as canker sores, Sjogren’s syndrome, anemia, stroke, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer’s disease, hypertension, or HIV/AIDS
- Surgical injuries or complications that cause nerve damage to the neck and head
- Chemotherapy or radiotherapy on the head and neck
Symptoms of Dry Mouth
Symptoms of dry mouth occur due to the glands not producing sufficient amounts of saliva. When a person experiences this, he or she can find it difficult to swallow, bad breath, and impaired taste buds.
Here are the symptoms of dry mouth due to lack of saliva:
- Often feeling thirsty
- Saliva feels thick
- Nasal passages feel dry
- Dry and chapped lips
- Dry and sore throat
- Disturbances in the taster senses
- The inside of the mouth feels sticky
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing and talking
- The sensation of heat in the mouth, especially on the tongue
- The tongue is dry, reddish, and feels rough
In addition to the above complaints, dry mouth can also make it difficult for sufferers when they want to install dentures.
When to see a doctor?
Check with your doctor if the above symptoms appear, especially if they do not subside even if they have been treated alone.
And a doctor’s examination is necessary if the dry mouth has been going on for a long time. Because this can increase the risk of other health problems, including cavities.
Not only the dry mouth but also know How to Treat Acne Around Mouth Area will explain more information about treatment and prevention.