Breast milk is the baby’s best food until he can consume other foods. However, do not worry if you work and still want to give exclusive breast milk to the baby. And find out about How Long Is Breast Milk Good In The Fridge: and Can be Re-inserted.
Is the fridge a good place to store breast milk?
Breast milk is milk produced by humans for infant consumption and is the main source of nutrition for infants who have not been able to digest solid foods, due to the influence of the hormones prolactin and oxytocin after the birth of the baby.
Breast milk can be stored at home as long as you understand how to store and prepare the right one. In this article, I will discuss, how to store breast milk, warm, and thaw frozen breast milk appropriately?
Cold temperatures such as in the refrigerator are one of the best and practical storage media. Milk resistance at a temperature of 26 degrees celsius or less can last 6-8 hours. If the temperature reaches 15 degrees celsius, milk can last 24 hours.
Is it possible to store milk without using the fridge?
How to store good milk does use the refrigerator. However, those who do not have a weld can still store milk with the following tricks.
How to store milk without a refrigerator are:
Milk that has been milked is put in a glass bottle, tightly closed, and then stored in a styrofoam box that has been filled with ice. If the way to store milk has been done correctly and is not often opened then breast milk can last up to 24 hours.
The principle is in how to store milk, avoid sudden temperature changes, and do not often open the container. This is for storage for more than 24 hours, replacing melted ice cubes with frozen ones. This can add up to 36 hours of shelf life.
How to store milk in the cooler box, it only lasts about a day. Since the durability period is quite short, then you need to apply a strategy when milking.
Avoid milking too much, but adjust to the baby’s drinking capacity. For example, in one drink the baby needs 200 ml of breast milk, then enough milk around that amount. This is so that the rest of the breast milk that passes the time limit, is not wasted.
Besides I will also provide information about How Much Omega 3 Needed Daily? Recommended For Children, Kids, Adults, And For Pregnancy is a well-known omega 3 fatty acid with a myriad of benefits for health.
Is it safe to store breast milk in a bottle?
This is the recommended way of storing breast milk in a bottle, to be maintained in its freshness and cleanliness. How to store breast milk in a bottle can be divided into several types, namely:
Plastic breast milk bottles
Even if it’s made from plastic, you don’t have to worry about its safety when you use it.
Plastic bottles have usually been designed in such a way that it is safe for babies. If you don’t want to buy a plastic breast milk bottle that contains certain chemicals, try choosing a bottle that is free of BPA.
BPA is a type of chemical that is usually used in the manufacture of various products, such as food or beverage containers or hygiene products.
Alternatively, you can look for a bottle with recycling number 5, as it is made of polypropylene.
Pp label or recycling number 5 located at the bottom of the bottle is a good choice of plastic material.
Not only applies to storing breast milk, but this bottle can also be used when breastfeeding babies. As a milk storage container, plastic bottles have several drawbacks and advantages.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of plastic breast milk bottles:
Advantages of plastic breast milk bottles:
- Not easily broken
- The price is relatively cheap
- Available in a variety of different sizes
Disadvantages of plastic breast milk bottles:
- Cannot be used for long periods
- Cannot be boiled or soaked in water at overheating temperatures
Glass breast milk bottle
If you want to make sure the used breast milk bottle is safe and free from BPA, you can use glass material.
Instead of plastic bottles, glass breast milk bottles are much heavier which may make it difficult for babies to hold them when breastfeeding.
Even so, do not worry that this glass breast milk bottle will break easily. As a solution, you can choose a glass bottle equipped with a silicone bottle cover.
This silicone comes in a suitable shape and fits the bottle so that it can help protect it from breakage.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of glass breast milk bottles:
Advantages of glass breast milk bottles:
- More resistant to long-term use compared to plastic bottles
- Free from BPA materials
- Bottles can be boiled or soaked in water at hot temperatures
Disadvantages of glass breast milk bottles:
- The price is relatively more expensive
- Easily broken if dropped
- Only available in certain sizes
Plastic breast milk bottle with a disposable liner
Plastic with disposable liner is a plastic bottle but equipped with sterilized disposable plastic.
This sterile disposable plastic is in the bottle and serves as a place to hold breast milk.
However, as the name implies, the disposable sterilized liner can only be used once and then discarded.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of plastic breast milk bottles with disposable liners:
Advantages of plastic with disposable liner:
- Plastic bottles can be reused, as they only need to replace the disposable liner inside.
- Plastic bottles are easy to clean and do not take long after the disposable liner is discarded.
- Free from BPA ingredients.
- Very practical to carry on the go.
Disadvantages of plastic with a disposable liner
The price is relatively more expensive because it is only disposable.
Breast milk storage bags as a way of storing breast milk
In addition to being stored in a bottle, breast milk can also be accommodated in a bag, which has been cleaned before use.
However, make sure you choose a breast milk bag with a tight seal and have good quality. That way, the breast milk contained in it is not easily leaked or spilled.
Kika compared to bottles, the use of bags does not take up much space in the storage room.
However, breast milk stored in the bag must still be transferred into the bottle when it is to be given to the baby.
Overall, here is a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of using bags in how to store milk:
Excess breast milk bags:
- The price is relatively cheap.
- Easy to use.
- It’s disposable only, so it doesn’t take long to clean it.
- The size is small and takes up little space, so it can be stored in large quantities in cooler bags, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Breast milk stored in a bag is faster and easier to thaw compared to glass or plastic bottles.
Lack of breast milk bags:
- There is a risk of breast milk leaking, spilling, or rupture.
- Some breast milk pumps cannot drain breast milk directly into the bag but must go through the bottle first.
- It can only be used once, so it can cost more than buying a glass or plastic bottle.
- Various breast milk storage containers are plastic bottles, glass bottles, plastic bottles with disposable liners, even bags, which have their advantages and disadvantages.
- Make sure the use of storage containers in the form of bottles and bags is appropriate to your needs and tastes.
Can I mix milk at different times?
Mixing milk can be. However, not everything fresh can be directly mixed with previously-stored breast milk. Although both are pumped from the breast, you not only have to know how to store breast milk but also combine milk at different times.
Is it possible to mix milk with room-temperature breast milk?
Room temperature breast milk here means breast milk that is placed at room temperature without being put in the refrigerator or freezer after milking. In this case, you can directly mix fresh milk into a room-temperature breast milk bottle.
With the record, breast milk stored at room temperature is not stale and still within 24 hours. Once combined, you can directly give it to the baby or store it in the refrigerator.
Is it okay to mix milk with breast milk from the refrigerator?
It is not recommended to combine fresh milk and from the refrigerator directly. Because freshly milked breast milk must be cooled first in the refrigerator.
Then mix with the freshly milked breast milk with which it had been stored in the refrigerator earlier in the day.
Can you mix fresh milk with frozen breast milk?
Freshly milked breast milk should not be mixed directly into the breast milk that has been frozen in the freezer. Because both have different temperatures so it is feared that it can damage the natural composition of breast milk.
As a solution put freshly milked breast milk in the refrigerator. When it is cold, you can only add it to a bottle of frozen milk pumped on the same day.
Can I put the milk mixture and frozen milk back in the refrigerator?
Please note that frozen breast milk that has been thawed, should not be stored back in the refrigerator or freezer. Because breast milk should be given to the baby immediately, and should not be frozen or stored again.
How to store fresh milk should be put in a different bottle with breast milk that has been stored and thawed.
How to store proper breast milk?
Busy work or doing a lot of activities outside the home is not an obstacle to keep giving exclusive breast milk.
When there are breastfeeding challenges and breastfeeding mother problems, you still allow giving breast milk.
This depends on the conditions you are experiencing, including mastitis or breast infection.
However, many benefits of breast milk can be obtained.
Before going outside the house, when you are free, or in between busy in the office you can pump breast milk using tools.
Including when you do not have time to breastfeed the baby directly in a comfortable breastfeeding position.
However, don’t underestimate how to save after pumping. Because breast milk is a clean and sterile food if directly given by breastfeeding the baby.
That is why if the baby’s breast milk is put in a bottle to be stored, of course, the cleanliness of the storage container should be considered.
How long is the storage time of breast milk?
Another storage rule that should not go unnoticed is the length of time it is deposited.
The length of time breast milk is stored depends on the place where you store the breast milk and when the baby’s breastfeeding schedule is scheduled.
The faster breast milk is used, the more often you pump breast milk. That way, the production of breast milk will usually be more and more smooth.
In general, here are the rules of the length of storage time or how to store milk according to its place:
- Length of storage of breast milk at room temperature
- The recommended temperature or room temperature in breast milk storage should range from 25 degrees Celsius.
- In such temperatures newly pumped breast milk can be used for up to 4 hours. Meanwhile, frozen breast milk stored at room temperature should be used for 1-2 hours.
Cooler box as a way of storing breast milk
If you use a cooler box, the most appropriate way of storing it is to put a lot of ice cubes in it.
This will make breast milk in the cooler box can last for several hours, but not too long for example in just 1 day.
The refrigerator as a way of storing breast milk
The ideal temperature in the refrigerator for storing breast milk is 4 degrees Celsius or lower, but preferably no more than 10 degrees Celsius.
New milk and stored in the refrigerator storage limit is for 5-8 days.
However, to ensure the quality is maintained properly should be used within not more than three days.
Meanwhile, the storage of frozen breast milk in the refrigerator is about 1 day.
Freezer with refrigerator
How to store milk in the freezer equipped with a refrigerator should be at a temperature of -10 degrees Celsius. If the freezer with this refrigerator consists of 2 doors, freshly milked breast milk can be stored for 3-4 months.
However, if the freezer with refrigerator only has 1 door, the duration of storage of fresh breast milk is only about 2 weeks.
Frozen breast milk in the freezer with the refrigerator that has been removed should not be frozen again.
Long storage of breast milk in the freezer
How to store or store breast milk in the freezer is divided into 2
In the freezer upright type freezer with the door opened to the front, breast milk can hold for 6 months with a minimum temperature of -18 degrees Celsius.
As long as you store it in the freezer in the right way, fresh milk will last up to 6-12 months.
While in the chest freezer or also referred to as the freezer box that is opened upwards, the storage time of breast milk can be longer.
Breast milk storage resistance in the chest freezer can last for 6-12 months with a minimum temperature of -20 degrees Celsius.
Also, how to store dairy milk that should also be considered is to avoid refreezing frozen breast milk that has just been removed from the freezer.
How to warm milk?
In addition to paying close attention to how to store milk, do not forget to understand also the rules of presentation.
Breast milk stored in the freezer can not be directly given to the baby because it is still in a frozen condition.
That is why you need to apply how to warm breast milk or thaw frozen milk before giving it to the baby.
How to serve and warm frozen milk from storage
To be more concise, here are the rules of presenting and warming milk after doing the proper way of storing it:
- Use milk stored in order of storage time.
- How to thaw or warm frozen milk after storing in the freezer can be done in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours or put on a bowl of warm water.
- You can also wet the container of frozen milk by using cold running water and then continued with warm water.
- Avoid diluting milk at room temperature directly.
- Shake the melted breast milk so that the fat of the hindmilk and foremilk in it blends well.
- Breast milk that has melted should be soaked in hot water with a temperature of no more than 70 degrees Celsius, while shaken slowly.
- Avoid thawing frozen milk in the microwave or very hot water after you have previously stored it in the freezer.
- Thawing frozen milk at too hot temperatures even risks damaging the nutritional content of dairy milk.
- Before breast milk is given to the baby, it is recommended to check the temperature first by dripping it on the inner wrist.
- Make sure the temperature of breast milk coming from the storage area already feels warm around 32-37 degrees Celsius.
- Avoid refreezing the milk that has melted.
- Breast milk that has been stored before and cannot be spent by the baby or remaining should not be given again to the baby and should be disposed of.
- Make it a habit to choose breast milk with an earlier storage date to serve. In some cases, babies may refuse to be breastfed that has been stored or frozen for a long time.
- Best of all, consider shortening the time of storing breast milk according to the baby’s taste.
What distinguishes that milk is stale?
When you find the characteristics of milk are stale, it is best not to warm it and give it to the baby.
The characteristics or signs of milk are stale, namely:
- The coating on the milk is not well mixed. Usually, because the top layer which is a layer of fat is usually difficult to mix and looks clumped.
- The aroma of dairy milk is no longer fresh
- The taste of dairy milk is no longer fresh
- Dairy milk is the same as other cow’s milk that must be stored well to maintain its quality. If you do not pay attention to the rules of storage, of course, the quality of dairy milk can gradually decrease.
Tips on how to store the correct breast milk
- Make sure your hands and breast milk storage are clean
- Use the appropriate container
- Use the first in the first out method
- Pay attention to the storage temperature of breast milk
- Avoid incorporating new dairy milk into frozen breast milk