Hiccups are also known as synchronous diaphragmatic flutter (SDF) or singultus, are uncontrollable diaphragm contractions that can recur within a minute. When the diaphragm contracts it causes you to breathe air very quickly, followed by a sudden closure of the vocal cords, resulting in a distinctive hiccup sound. Find out more about How To Stop Hiccups: Quickly and Without Side Effects.
Various foods can be the cause of hiccups. One of them is spicy food. Then, what is the right solution to get rid of hiccups quickly? What should be done to stop hiccups in adults with chronic conditions? Find out more in this article.
Types of Hiccups
This type of hiccup can be distinguished by the length of time of hiccups.
Here are the types of hiccups based on the period:
Acute hiccups are the most common type of hiccups in most people. This type of hiccup will usually last for less than 48 hours and will stop by itself.
However, if you want to stop this type of hiccup quickly, you can try several ways to eliminate hiccups naturally and simply. Such as eating honey, sucking lemons, or drinking cold water.
If you have had a continuous hiccup for more than 48 hours, then the hiccup can be categorized as a type of persistent hiccup. Most persistent hiccups can be caused by irritation or injury to the vagus and the phrenic nerves, which then irritate the diaphragm.
Hiccups that last for more than 1 month are categorized as a type of chronic hiccup that is difficult to overcome or even incurable. If you experience this type of hiccup, it is recommended to consult a doctor immediately for treatment.
Fast facts about hiccups
- Eating or drinking too fast often causes hiccups.
- Hiccups usually heal on their own without the necessary medical intervention.
- Hiccups affect everyone, from infants to older adults.
Why spicy foods can cause hiccups?
Spicy foods generally contain chili peppers and ingredients to provide other spicy sensations. Chili peppers have a chemical compound called capsaicin. Capsaicin is a group of chemicals that can provide flavor and heat profile to chili peppers.
Capsaicin content in chili peppers can activate neurons in the diaphragm, which then contract and cause hiccups or spasms in the diaphragm.
Most hiccups are caused by the food consumed. Maintaining the health of the stomach is certainly very important to do. Therefore, you need to know Stomach Disorders and Their Symptoms: Foods To Avoid
How To Stop Hiccups Quickly and Without Side Effects
Hiccups are generally caused by various problems. It happens because of eating and drinking habits. Hiccups can also occur due to emotional states.
Here’s how to stop hiccups without harmful side effects and can be done at home:
Holding Your Breath
What to do:
- Take a deep breath.
- Hold your breath for 20-25 seconds.
- Then, exhale gently.
This is a very effective way to get rid of it, it will also make you feel good.
Compressing the Chest
This is another method to stop hiccups. You have to press your chest when hiccups are occurring. Using this method can provide relief. After doing this, you will feel calm.
This is one effective method to use. When hiccups occur, you should bend the knee. After that, wrap it around your chest. Then, hold for at least 2-3 minutes. Thus, hiccups can disappear by themselves.
Pulling the tongue
Pulling the tongue is a simple technique to eliminate hiccups. You have to pull it forward. This creates obstacles in the hiccup chain and you can feel relaxed. This is a very simple technique.
Putting Pressure on the Palm
Use your thumb, on one hand, to apply pressure to the other palm. This procedure will create the necessary barrier to hiccups. So, using this method is also useful to stop this problem.
Drinking Ice Water
There are other simple techniques to deal with the hiccup problem. You have to drink ice water to stop it. This can help effectively. You can also gargle. The thing you can feel afterward is calm and cold.
Using a spoonful of Cocoa Powder
A spoonful of cocoa powder is one effective way to stop hiccups. The trick is quite easy, you just need to take a teaspoon of cocoa powder and try to swallow it right away.
You can also use chamomile to stop hiccups. Chamomile’s muscle relaxation properties help to relieve diaphragm contractions that can cause hiccups.
What to do:
- Brew 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile herb in a cup of water for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink slowly and the hiccups will stop immediately.
- Another option is to put 1 or 2 drops of chamomile essential oil into a brown paper bag. Place the paper bag on your nose and mouth. Besides, you take a slow deep breath into a paper bag until the hiccups stop.
Cardamom is an effective remedy for hiccups since it has muscle relaxation properties. Therefore, cardamom can stop hiccups.
What to do:
- Combine 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder in a glass of hot water.
- Let stand for 15 minutes then strain.
- Drink slowly.
How to deal with chronic hiccups?
Chronic hiccups can cause serious problems in your daily life. Living with the condition can be stressful, cause anxiety and disrupt normal routines. Therefore, striving to maintain good mental and physical health is essential.
Chronic hiccups are rare, but medicines are usually more effective in treating this type of hiccups.
Here are some steps you can take to overcome chronic hiccups:
- Explain the impact of the condition on colleagues, friends, family, and seek their support.
- Eat smaller amounts of food throughout the day than eating larger meals at a regular time.
- Regular exercise is important for a healthy lifestyle, but one should avoid activities that can be too tiring.
- Contact your doctor immediately if the hiccups do not stop for a long time.
Other Tips to stop hiccups
- You can sing or laugh out loud to distract and stop the hiccups.
- Drink a little fizzy drink just to cause belching to help the hiccups disappear.
- Hold the tip of your tongue with your finger and pull. This can relieve diaphragm spasms and stop hiccups.
- Use a cotton swab to tickle the soft palate of your mouth.
- Place your finger in your ear and breathe deeply for a few seconds.
- Chew a small piece of ginger gently to fight hiccups.
- Drink only moderate amounts of alcoholic beverages as they can damage the lining of the food channel, which can lead to frequent hiccups.
- Avoid eating in a hurry. Take the time to chew your food properly and eat slowly.
- Avoid overeating as this is a common cause of hiccups.
- Avoid spicy foods as they can cause irritation to the stomach and lining. This can cause hiccups.
- Hold your hands around your nose and mouth, but keep breathing normally.
- Try the method of swallowing with the mouth open.
- Hold your nose and keep your mouth shut for as long as possible or until you feel that the hiccups have gone.