Wrapping hair is a hairstyle that is used to arrange the hair to be smooth and straight. This technique is most commonly used by people who have long hair. However, even if you own short hair, you can still do it. Find out more about How To Wrap Your Hair: Complete Guide Step By Step.
What is Hair Wrap?
Hair Wrap is a technique to smooth the strands of hair around the head. The trick is quite easy, just collect the whole hair, then brush it in a circular motion around the head.
How To Wrap Your Hair: Complete Guide Step By Step
Preparing Hair for Wet Sets
- Wash your hair using shampoo. Start with clean hair. It’s easier to wrap your hair.
- Apply conditioner without rinse and foam wrapping lotion from root to end of the hair. This will help improve the ph balance in the hair, as well as help it stay moist.
- Consider applying natural oils, such as argon, jojoba, or Maroco oil to each part of the hair little by little. Natural oil polishing is excellent for getting smooth hair. If you have dry hair, then this could be the right choice.
- Use a sparsely toothed hair comb, to make sure the hair is as smooth as possible before wrapping it. If you have thick hair, start combing from the nape, then proceed to the top. Make sure you comb it from root to tip with careful movement.
- Create a horizontal section at the highest point of your head. Use the tip of the cutting comb to divide the hair at the top, which is the very top of the head.
- Comb the front and back hairs in the direction you want to wrap them. Hold the ends of this section so that the hair is tight, then comb down, circular, moving towards the coil.
- For example, if you wrap the hair to the left, you will start combing on the right side of this section. Comb that part in a circular pattern, first down, then up around your hairline.
- Tuck the bottom of the hair towards the wrapper. If you wrap to the left, the back end will be below.
- Hold the comb so you work from the top, not from the bottom.
- Wrap the next side, in the same direction.
- Continue with the front and the remaining sides.
- Apply a neck strap to hold the hair in place when it dries. The neck or wrapping strip should be placed on the back of your head. Next, pull it forward and tie it to the forehead. This helps to hold the wrap in place so that it will set when the hair dries. You may need to coat 3-4 strands to cover the ends of the hair as a whole.
- Use a hooded hair dryer for 40-60 minutes.
- Wrap it using a satin scarf around your hair. Satin will help smooth the hair and avoid excess damage.
- Wait until the hair is completely dry before removing the wrap. It depends on the length of hair you have.
- Do not immediately remove the wrap or scarf when waking up. You should keep it wrapped until it is ready to comb and arrange it as usual. If you unwrap your hair faster, it can cause a mess before you even start getting ready.
- Cover your head using a shower cap. After that, you can wait for it until it exits the bathroom.
- Unwrap your hair. Comb the hair in the opposite direction to the wrapped hair. Combing the hair backward will help remove cowlicks that come from the hair wrapper.
How to soften coarse and fluffy hair?
Get to know your hair type
One way to soften hair is to recognize the type of hair first. This step is important before you decide which hair care you want to do. For example, straight hair types are easier to make softer, compared to curly hair types.
Don’t shampoo too often
Although it is necessary to maintain cleanliness and health, shampooing too often is not recommended because it harms the hair. Because the way to shampoo too often or every day can damage the hair and inhibit its growth.
Washing hair too often can also make the scalp lose its natural oils so that the condition can be very dry. There is no standard rule of how many times a week to shampoo. But you should shampoo immediately if the condition of the hair is completely dirty.
Use the right shampoo
The wrong use of shampoo can cause damage and make the hair coarse. Therefore, look for the right shampoo product according to your hair type. You can use shampoos containing argan oil. The antioxidant and vitamin E content in argan oil can nourish the hair shaft so that it can moisturize, smooth, and make it shiny.
As much as possible, avoid using shampoos containing sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). Because this content not only removes dirt from the hair but also natural oils of the hair. This can make your hair dry and look unhealthy. SLS can cause irritation and dryness to the scalp.
Don’t forget the conditioner
The use of conditioner is important in steps to soften the hair. In addition to softening, this product can also protect the hair from various things that cause dry hair, such as the use of hairdressers and sunlight.
If you have dry hair, be sure to always use conditioner at least twice a week to get soft hair. If you have long hair, use conditioner from the ends of the hair to a third or half of the hair.
Avoid using conditioner until it touches the scalp. Because this can make the scalp oily and blisters. Let stand for a few minutes, then rinse the hair with cold water.
Wash hair with cold water
Coldwater can rinse the shampoo or conditioner you use without removing the moisture of the hair. Avoid washing your hair with water that is too hot because it can cause damaged hair to become dull and dry.
Limit the use of hairdressing tools
The habit of using hairdresser tools, such as hairdryer, blow dryer, or other equipment, can harm the health of the hair. Because, the heat temperature produced from the tool can damage the hair to be rough, brittle, as well as lose natural sheen.
To get smooth and soft hair, we recommend limiting the use of hairdressing tools. If you have to use it, apply a hair protection serum.
Avoid tying hair too often
Hair binding is often done for certain situations and conditions, such as when exercising. Over time, the habit of tying hair too tight can risk damaging the cuticles of the hair. As a result, hair can become dry, even fall out.
Comb hair slowly
Combing the hair too often can cause friction so that the hair will tangle. It is best to limit combing the hair to a minimum, and never do so when the hair is wet. Because wet hair will be more prone to break.
The solution, you can comb the hair by decomposing it before bathing using a wide-toothed comb. Then, carefully comb the hair 1-2 times a day to style and remove tangles.
You may also have curiosity about how long does it take to grow hair. Know more, so you get a new understanding of the hair that becomes one of the supporting points of your daily appearance.
How to soften hair naturally?
The benefits of coconut oil are not only good for the skin but also believed to be beneficial for the hair shaft. You can look for hair care products that contain coconut oil.
However, the benefits of coconut oil for hair can be obtained by applying to the hair after shampooing. Simply apply coconut oil thinly on the ends of the hair so that the hair is not oily.
Olive oil can also be used as a way of softening hair naturally. The benefits of olive oil for hair act as a coating that helps hold water and prevents damage to the cuticles of the hair.
Unfortunately, olive oil can make your hair oily. To get the best results, apply olive oil thinly on the ends of the hair evenly once a week.
You can use a hair mask from bananas as a way to soften the hair naturally. If used regularly, this mask is believed to make the hair feel softer, while reducing tangles and soothing irritated scalps.
To make a hair mask from bananas, you can add yogurt to it. The natural way of softening hair with bananas is as follows:
- In a bowl, puree 1 piece of banana.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flavorless yogurt to it.
- Stir evenly until it becomes a thick paste mask.
- Apply on the hair strands thoroughly, starting from the tip to the root.
- Let stand for 45 minutes, then rinse the hair thoroughly with water and shampoo.