The seductive aroma is appetizing, the combination of Jamaican rice with peas produces a delicious savory taste. This perfect dinner dish is Jamaican Rice and Peas: How to Cook easy Recipe you only need a few minutes to make.
Rice and peas are one of the many favorite dishes for people on the Island of Jamaica, soft red beans add to our appetite. Rice covered with coconut milk tastes savory and comfortable in the mouth, you will be addicted when eating it. I will give you a recipe and an outline of how to put it all together to make this dish.
What are Jamaican rice and peas?
It is a traditional dish prepared with long wheat brown rice cooked in a large frying pan with fatback or bacon droplets. A wide variety of ingredients namely: onions, spices, and tomatoes are eliminated, while in other recipes, these ingredients are included. This dish is served with banana or dried beans. In some cases, dishes are served with boiled or grilled chicken or shrimp.
In the early days, the Indians used banana stalks instead of peanuts. However, after the introduction of beans, the natives found the banana stalks too bitter for their taste and therefore replaced them with peas (now known as bananas in the local language).
In addition to being used as a staple food in the Caribbean, it has now become popular all over the world. This is mainly because people have realized the nutritional and health benefits of eating such foods. The use of peas in the dish helps to make it nutritiously balanced and free of any kind of harmful substances.
This dish is very popular, especially in southern communities in the United States. It is served with a piece of bread, called “old,” which can also be made from corn. It is a portion of popular comfort food for many.
Is this recipe suitable for diet dishes?
Jamaican Rice and Peas is a dish that is perfect for you dieters in this recipe I use a variety of vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free ingredients.
You can use white rice with brown rice to support the success of your diet.
How do find out the degree of maturity of this recipe?
First for the beans you can test them using a fork, make sure the beans are cooked perfectly, after which for the rice you can see the temperature gauge until it reaches 70 ° C.
Has the right spicy and sweet taste and a crunchy texture, the spilled sauce on top will add to the delicacy is frozen chicken wings in an air fryer xl. you only need a few minutes to make. Its crispy wings are well-liked by everyone. Although the amount of meat on the wings is relatively small and more boney, this dish is a favorite of the general public.
What materials are needed?
- Long grain white rice or brown rice
- Unen sweetener coconut milk
- whole scotch bonnet pepper
- canned red beans can be used as a substitute for
- dried thyme springs
- black pepper
- whole allspice seeds (AKA pimento seeds)
How do I cook it?
- I made it using dried red beans that had been soaked overnight. to change the texture of the beans to soft. If you have trouble finding fresh beans, you can use canned red beans, by singing them first and rinsing them using running water.
- The second step is to boil the water in a saucepan for 1 hour over medium heat, making sure the texture is properly soft by using a fork or other tool.
- Then, put the coconut milk without the sugar and stir for 3 minutes.
- After that add the leeks, season, chopped garlic, allspice seeds, and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste into the dough.
- Stir the dough for 7 minutes over medium heat and put the cooked rice until cooked through for 40 minutes.
- Serve Jamaican rice and peas, eat immediately.
Can you reheat Jamaican rice and peas?
After you put it out, ideally you should eat it within an hour. If you allow leftovers to cool, be sure to cool them in an airtight container. You can keep the rest of the Jamaican rice and peas in the fridge for a day. Re-heat and use the rest of the rice (stored in the fridge) in one day.
Can Jamaican rice and peas be stored in the fridge?
If you have leftovers you can store them in the fridge using frequent air containers, it will last for 1 day.
Remove the rice from the fridge if you want to use it and re-heat it for one time.
Tips for processing peas
Choose the right red beans
Before processing, you need to choose the red beans correctly first. You should opt for red beans that are not blackish, wrinkled, and perforated. If buying boiled red beans, choose those that do not smell sour, are not slippery or slimy, and are already quite tender.
Soak the red beans
After choosing a good red bean, make sure to wash the red beans under running water. After that, you need to soak it for 1-2 hours or overnight. Soaking is carried out to deflate the red beans.
After soaking, you can boil it for two hours or until the red beans are tender. Make sure the red beans are always submerged when boiled. If the texture is not crunchy and easily crushed, this indicates that the beans are cooked. Alternatively, you can boil it with the technique of being cooked in a tightly sealed saucepan for an hour.
- 2 cups long-grain white rice (brown rice can be replaced)
- ¾ cup unen sweetener coconut milk
- 3 leeks
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper (AKA habanero) chopped
- 1¾ cups canned red beans can be used instead
- 2 springs thyme dried
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- • ½ tbsp salt
- • 7 whole allspice seeds (AKA pimento seeds)
- The first step, use dried red beans that have been soaked overnight. so that the texture of the beans becomes soft. You can also use canned red beans, first slice them and rinse them using running water.
- Then put the beans in a saucepan, add about 3 cups of water and simmer for 1 hour over medium heat. Test using a fork to ensure the texture of the beans.
- After that add the coconut milk without sugar content, stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Add the leeks, season, chopped garlic, allspice seeds, and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Put salt and pepper to taste into the dough.
- • Stir again for 7 minutes over medium heat. Add the rice and cook until cooked for 40 minutes.
- • Serve Jamaican rice and peas, eat immediately.