Saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) is a type of crocodile largest reptiles in the world and also includes the biggest in history . he has the same characteristics as other crocodiles but looks more ferocious. you must know the weight of average reptile: largest reptiles in the world.
Do you maintain a lizard house and know the lizard body condition score? Can your lizard, turtle, or snake be fat? how much snake body condition score? immediately check the veterinary doctor to find out.
What are reptiles?
Reptiles are animals that walk by crawling or creeping. The word reptile itself is taken from the word reptans which means creeping up or creeping. The general definition of reptiles is a group of cold-blooded vertebrate animals and have scales covering their bodies.
Reptiles are animals with four limbs (tetrapods) with eggs whose embryos are enclosed by a membrane called amniotic. Reptiles have several types of orders that can be described into four orders of reptiles.
Do frogs belong to reptiles?
Animals classified as reptiles are lizards. Because lizards are one family with lizards that belong to the group of reptilian animals. Snakes and turtles also enter reptiles. Frogs and frogs are not reptile animals because they get into amphibians.
Facts about frogs and frogs, this is one of the amphibian animals of the Order of Anura belonging to the family Bufonidae. know How Fast Can a Frog Run and Swim Recognize the difference between them, there are types of poison arrow frogs and Pacman frogs that are very dangerous.
Order of reptiles
The Order of Testudinata is a reptile that comes from the nation of turtles – turtles. The estimated number of species is 300 species.
The Order of Crocodile is an order of reptiles of large size and appeared about 83.5 million years ago in the late Cretaceous period. The order is the closest relative of birds. The current number of species is 23 species.
The order of Squamata is an order consisting of lizards and snakes. Members of this order can be distinguished from their skin. To date, the species of the order of Squamata reaches 7,900 species.
The Order of Sphenodontia is a lizard-like reptile that includes only one species and inhabits new Zealand. There are two species of this order namely Rhynchocephalia and Tuatara.
General Characteristics of Reptiles
After knowing some types of reptiles that have been mentioned above, here are the special features that almost all reptile animals have.
- All reptiles have a spine, which means they are vertebrates.
- All reptiles are oviparous (laying eggs). Most reptiles lay eggs, but some species of Squamata give birth.
- All reptiles have scales. Scales are small, hard plates made of a protein called keratin. Scute is a turtle shell and crocodile skin he is very similar to scales. In contrast to scales, Scute is a bone structure and develops at a deeper skin level than scales. Both scales and Scute provide physical protection and help prevent water loss through the skin.
- Reptiles are ectothermic or cold-blooded, meaning they cannot control their body temperature. Cold-blooded animals should work with the environment to increase or decrease their body temperature. Basking in the sun aims to raise their body temperature, and they move faster when the body temperature is warm. Besides, cold-blooded animals are going to shady areas when they are hot to lower their body temperature.
Structure of The Reftil Body
- The structure of its body consisting of the head, neck, body, and tail
- Each leg has a finger with claws
- In his elongated mouth, with conical teeth
- Near the end of the muzzle, there are two nostrils (external nares) which as respiration organs
- Large eyes located in the lateral with two eyelids and a nictitans membrane
- On the open ear behind the eye
- Pigment cell color (chromatophores)
Examples of Reptiles and Their Food
These reptiles can swim in the sea and lay eggs on the ground. This type of reptile can be found in all tropical and subtropical marine regions. This Green Turtle can be easily found in the Atlantic ocean and the Pacific Ocean.
This turtle shell is green and that’s the reason why it’s referred to as a green turtle. The body of this green turtle is classified as large with a length of about 80 cm to 150 cm and weighs up to 132 kg. As for food from green turtles is in the form of algae.
One of the endangered animals is hawksbill turtles. Hawksbill turtles have been known to live in various parts of the world. Hawksbill turtles can be found in the Atlantic Ocean region and the indo pacific waters.
The characteristic of the hawksbill turtle’s body is that there is a flat carapace and its arms are fin-shaped. While the beak is curved with a prominent top. A unique feature that hawksbill turtles have is that they can change the color of the body that is adjusted to the water temperature.
Bridle turtle is a type of reptile that has a body similar to green turtles. The head of the bridle turtle is larger than the head of the green turtle. The carapace is slimmer and has an angle. On the side of the body, there are 5 lateral scales and this turtle belongs to the smallest type of turtle.
Bridle turtles belong to a protected species of animal. Until now there have been about 1000 protected bridle turtle nests. Habitat from the bridle turtle is not only at sea but can also be found in the river.
The animal, named Crocodylus Porosus, is a type of crocodile found in Indonesia. This type of crocodile is the largest and has the heaviest weight. Muara crocodile has the longest body size and has the most widely spread compared to other types of crocodiles.
Muara crocodiles can be found in countries such as India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Fiji Islands, Indonesia, and Australia. Indonesia and Australia are two countries that have many Muara Crocodiles.
According to some researchers, Siamese crocodiles are crocodiles that come from the Siamese region. Siamese crocodiles can be found in countries such as Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia as well as Cambodia. In Indonesia itself, Siamese crocodiles can only be found in Java and Kalimantan. The natural habitat of Siamese crocodiles is rivers and likes to prey on animals such as fish, birds, or geese.
Fierce Snake or Inland Tycoon
This type of snake is one type of reptile that can be found on the Australian continent and is rarely found on other continents. This snake is on average 1.8 meters to 2.5 meters long in adulthood. Fierce Snake snake species is crowned as the deadliest snake in the world. When compared to King Cobra, it can be 50 times more deadly than this snake.
In one bite, the Inland Taipan snake can secrete as much as 44miligrams to 110 milligrams of poison. One bite can kill up to 110 adults and as many as 250 thousand mice. The nature of this snake is shy and prefers to avoid humans. These snakes like to prey on small rats or other rodents.
Australian Brown Snake
This type of snake can be found in the continental regions of Australia, Papua New Guinea, and Indonesia. But more is found on the continent that lives up to its name in Australia. The snake can reach a length of 1.1 meters to 2.1 meters.
Australian Brown Snake is usually active during the day and has a poison capable of killing 100 humans in one bite. Symptoms include dizziness, paralysis, and death if not treated quickly. This type of snake often eats rats or other small animals such as small birds.
Weight of average reptiles: largest reptiles in the world
Weight of average reptile
- The average weight of adult Arakan forest turtles: 8.50 lb
- The average weight of an adult caiman lizard: 4.50 lb
- The average weight of an adult Jackson Chameleon: 0.47e
- Average weight Of adult leopard lizard: 0.59e
largest reptiles in the world
- Saltwater crocodile, weighing 2,000 kg or about 4,400 lb
- the second-largest reptile, the Nile Crocodile, weighs 1,090 kg or the equivalent of 2,400 lb
- while the third crocodile Orinoco he has a maximum mass of 1,100 kg or 2,400 lb
- the next largest reptile is the leatherback turtle weighing 932 kg or 2,050 lb