What is Gabapentin Prescribed For
Do you often have seizures until the body becomes stiff and falls to the floor, is it a sign of epilepsy? to overcome these symptoms you should take medication. Gabapentin is used as a drug to address the symptoms of epilepsy. What is Gabapentin Prescribed For: Uses, Dosage, and Side Effects? learn more about it.
What is gabapentin?
Gabapentin is a drug to relieve seizures in people with epilepsy. The medication is available in pill form and should only be bought with a physician’s prescription.
Gabapentin is a sort of anticonvulsant or anti-inflammatory medication. The drug works by affecting nerve and chemical compounds in the body that cause seizures and pain. Please note, gabapentin cannot cure epilepsy, but only controls seizures during regular consumption.
- Therapy class : Anticonvulsants
- Classification of drugs: Antiepileptic
- Prescription drugs
Dosage form of the drug:
Categories of pregnancy and lactation
- Category C: There has been no controlled research, but there are side effects that may interfere with fetal development and growth.
Dosage of the drug
- Each person’s dosage varies. Be sure to always consult a doctor before using or taking medication.
In what dosages is Gabapentin available?
Gabapentin is available in the following dosages.
Capsules, Oral: 100 mg, 300 mg, 400 mg
Oral: 300 mg, 600 mg
Solution, Oral: 250 mg/5 mL (5 mL, 6 mL, 470 mL, 473 mL)
Tablets, Oral: 300 mg, 600 mg, 800 mg
Warning Before Taking Gabapentin:
- Don’t use gabapentin for those who have an allergy to the ingredients within this drug.
- Before using gabapentin, tell your doctor a history of diseases you have suffered from, especially kidney disease, mental disorders, respiratory disorders, as well as alcohol abuse, and drugs.
- If you are an epileptic person taking gabapentin, check with your doctor during the use of this drug, especially in the first few months, so that the doctor can monitor the development of your condition.
- Gabapentin can cause dizziness and drowsiness. Therefore, do not drive doing activities that require vigilance after taking this drug.
- If you want to take drugs containing aluminum or magnesium, such as antacids, give a minimum distance of 2 hours before taking gabapentin.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or are planning a pregnancy, be sure to consult a doctor before taking gabapentin.
- If you experience an allergic reaction or overdose after taking this drug, see a doctor immediately.